Pages

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Mr. Tubby

So first up I would like to say that I am sorry about any spelling or grammatical errors in my last post. I got really excited about writing my first blog (or ‘blag’ as I like to call it because of an XKCD comic), and didn't bother to re-read it. I did write in Microsoft Word first, so if any mistakes were to occur Microsoft Word would give me the red squiggle of shame. However, this does not always mean 100% accuracy grammar/spelling wise. I’m rambling now, but the point is I’m sorry that I suck at spelling and grammar. Please forgive me. Now that that's cleared up, I’ll get on with my new post.

Every year, my hometown holds an event called the Strawberry Fete (I believe it is a fundraiser a local church organises, but I am not entirely sure). There is a variety of strawberry-based goodies to buy, as well as stalls selling homemade jams and cakes, toys, used clothes and books etc. Emma was volunteering to sell things at one of the used toy stalls and enlisted me as her sales assistant. We tried very hard to get people to buy things from our stall. We sang songs and did dances. We even played with the toys to show children how much fun they could be (although I’d be lying if I said we did that entirely to sell toys, there was a little part of us that just wanted an excuse to play with them).
"Look at the fun train, kids! Chugga Chugga WOO WOO!" "Can I play with it?" "Um..No."

It wasn't till a few things had been bought, and our stall was less cluttered that I noticed a teddy bear. He was possibly the cutest Teddy Bear I had ever seen. He had a big chubby face, and a tartan bow tie round his neck. I picked him up and showed him to Emma. I believe it was my intention to say “Why Emma, won’t you gaze upon this teddy that I just found? Would you not agree that his adorability is astounding?”. However I was so overwhelmed by the cuteness of my new found friend that what came out was “EM! BEAR! LOOK! BEAR CUTE! SCHNOOKY WOOKY IS SUCH A CUTE LIL BEAR YES HE IS! AWW!”.
Emma, who agreed the bear was adorable but was able to articulate it better than I had been able to, suggested that I buy him. I considered it, but decided not to. I was a grown up. There had to be some child who would want this bear more than me. I put the bear down, but every time a child came to the stall, I would steer them away from the bear I adored so much and try to persuade them to buy other toys. When the Fate was coming to a close, I couldn't resist him any longer. I threw my money in Emma’s general direction and gathered the bear into my arms, squeezing him tightly and dribbling things like “Lil schnookums is coming home with me! Oh you are just so adorable! Whose adorable! You are!”. Emma and I decided to have joint ownership of the bear, who was then christened Mr. Tubby.
"Mr Tubby" (Note: He is much cuter in real life)

After the Fete, Emma and I spent the afternoon walking with Mr. Tubby between us, each of us holding one of his paws. We took him to the shop and strapped him into the kids seat of the Trolley. “What was that, Mr Tubby?” We would say and then lean close to him so he could whisper to us, “No, you can’t have ice-cream for tea, young man. We need to find you some bear food. Excuse me, Woolworths Employee, where would one find the bear food? Do have a special section?”
"Do you have any bear food?" "What...Like Porridge?" (That was his actually reaction. What a cool guy)

Last holidays, when Emma came home, I thought it might be nice for Mr. Tubby to stay with her a couple of nights as he barely gets to see her. So I did up his bow tie and placed some flowers in his paw, leaving him on Emma’s doorstep. Little did I know that Emma’s mother was chatting to her cousin, telling him how immature Emma can be in certain ways. Talk about perfect timing.
"Emma is immature in some ways. She still loves Disney Movies and teddy bears -" "MR TUBBY IS AT THE DOOR!"

3 comments:

  1. Sandra Braun says
    I can't believe that Emma's Mum would say that she is immature in certain ways. Its so not like Emma's mum to say something like that, cause i think she loves Disney movies as well.
    I can imagine her saying oh dear oh dear - TEENAGERS they have such imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aysna and Emma so upset that you couldnt find anything on the Serandipity stall to buy. Your singing and dancing was wonderful for the Serandipity stall im not sure why???

    ReplyDelete
  3. MR. TUBBY IS AT THE DOOR! I am on the floor. rolling around. laughing a lot.

    ReplyDelete